Mike Petroff is a singer-songwriter who moved to the Bow Valley in 1978. Mike has an incredible history with Canmore. He started and grew a successful construction company here, but as of late, wrote a song called “The Night the Cougar Roared” that tells the story of the 2013 flood. Mike is a key part of the local music scene here in the Bow Valley.
Be Sure to Listen if You are Interested in:
- Folk Music
- Song Writing
- 02:35 – Jason asks Mike about his life story and the reasons behind moving into Canmore. Mike explains why Canmore was his life choice mentioning that people are the motivation and song inspiration.
- 07:10 – Mike describes how Canmore changed throughout the years comparing the city in the past and now.
- 08:57 Jason brings up Mike’s decision of starting up a construction business. Mike reflects on his background and talks through the bullet points of starting own business.
- 12:55 – Jason asks Mike about his reasons for a career change from being a construction “guy” / entrepreneur into the musician. Mike describes his desire for writing and listening to peoples’ stories which he turned into a song-writing passion.
- 16:43 – Jason follows up on Mike’s inspiration to peoples’ stories and post-song creation.
- 20:31 – Break to talk about our sponsor, the E=MC2 CoWork space in Canmore. Check us out with a free space for your first day, attend a Wednesday LunchBox lecture, or visit us for wind down Fridays.
- 28:41 – Mike talks about the song he has written that holds a special place in his mind and heart. Mike discuss a special meaning of “A Thousand Storms.”
- 33:30 – Jason and Mike discuss their attitude towards nature, environment and ways to connect with them touching different life aspects.
- 39:04 – Jason puts a question to Mike about his word of advice in progressing in the music world.
- 42:00 – You can discover more about Mike and his music on Youtube. Listen to iTunes and follow his social media channels.
People, Places, and Events Mentioned
- E=MC2 – Coworking Space in Canmore
- Mike Petroff on Facebook
- Mike Petroff on iTunes
- Mike Petroff on YouTube